Dictionary of Irish Latin American Biography

Scully, Lucas (1850-1907), landowner and public official, was born in Capilla del Señor, the eldest son of James Scully (b.1814) and his wife, Bridget Kearney (1819-1877) of Co. Westmeath.

Lucas Scully owned land in Solís, district of San Andrés de Giles. Scully was a member of the Radical Civil Union. He was military commander and member of the municipal government at San Andrés de Giles. In 1885, Scully was appointed president of the Municipal Commission. In Solís, an avenue was named after him. 

Lucas Scully married Catalina (d.1898), daughter of Edward Culligan (1831-1902) and Kathleen Kennedy (1848-1912). They had two daughters and one son.

Gonzalo Cané


- Coghlan, Eduardo A., Los Irlandeses en la Argentina: Su Actuación y Descendencia (Buenos Aires, 1987), p. 823.

- García, S., G. M. Leon, and H. R. Terrén, Efemérides Gilenses (San Andrés de Giles: Municipalidad de San Andrés de Giles, 1998).

.- Municipalidad de San Andrés de Giles, San Andrés De Giles: Origen y Principales Hechos de su Evolución hasta Nuestros Dias. Official publication based on Vicente Cutillas memoirs (San Andrés de Giles, 1938).

Copyright © Society for Irish Latin American Studies

Online published: 1 April 2004
Edited: 07 May 2009

Cané, Gonzalo, '
Scully, Lucas (1850-1907)' in "Irish Migration Studies in Latin America" November-December 2005 (


The Society for Irish Latin American Studies, 2005

 Copyright Information